J. Kieran Jennings, CRE
J. Kieran Jennings is Managing Partner at Siegel Jennings Co., L.P.A. Previously a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Kieran focuses his practice on real property taxation and general state and local tax litigation. He has successfully tried cases before administrative boards, tribunals, courts, and appellate courts, including the Ohio Supreme Court. Kieran has experience in managing real property tax appeals throughout the U.S. and Canada and assists clients in due diligence property acquisitions, tax planning, and structured agreements between taxpayers and taxing jurisdictions.
Kieran is the Vice President and a member of the Executive Board of the American Property Tax Counsel (APTC), a national organization of which Siegel Jennings is a founding member. Kieran is also on the Board of Directors for the Northern Ohio Chapter of NAIOP. Kieran regularly conducts seminars and workshops on numerous property tax issues for industry groups like the National Retail Round Table, The Ohio Society of CPAs, Institute for Professionals in Taxation (IPT), International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO), National Business Institute, and Lorman Education Service.
In 2016, Kieran was awarded the CRE (Counselor of Real Estate) credential by The Counselors of Real Estate, an international group of high-profile real estate practitioners who provide expert advisory services to clients on complex real property and land-related matters. Of the over 150,000 practitioners in commercial real estate today, fewer than 1,100 currently hold the CRE credential.
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, JD
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, BS, Accounting
- Ohio – 1995
- Pennsylvania – 1996
- CRE (Counselor of Real Estate) credential by The Counselors of Real Estate
- American Property Tax Counsel – 2018 – present Vice President
- American Property Tax Counsel – 2012-2017 Secretary
- NAIOP Commercial Real Estate Development Association Northern Ohio Chapter- Legislative Committee Vice Chair
- ABA – Past Chairman of the Property Tax Committee
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- Ohio Hotel & Lodging Association
- "How to Fight Excessive Property Taxes Caused by COVID-19" December 2020, CoreNet Global's The LEADER Magazine
- "How to Fight Excessive Property Taxes During COVID-19" Fall 2020, NAIOP's Development Magazine (co-authored with Greg Hart)
- "Why Assessor Estimates Create Ambiguity" January, 2020, Commercial Property Executive
- "Unfair Taxation? Governments Need to Fix the Right Problem" March, 2019, Commercial Property Executive
- "Changing Markets, Changing Tax Codes, Changing Property Taxes?" February 2018, Properties Magazine (co-authored with Cecilia Hyun)
- "Is Your Hotel Paying Too Much Property Tax?" July 2016, Commercial Property Executive (co-authored with Anthony C. Barna)
- "Valuation Education: How to spot - and challenge - unfair tax bills" April 2016, Commercial Property Executive
- "Controlling Property Taxes paves Way for Economic Sustainability" Jan 2016, Properties Magazine